Happy New Year everyone! It’s been another great year in my pursuit of financial independence and personal freedom. As you might have noticed, I haven’t posted in a very long time. I apologize to my readers for my absence — I have definitely been way too busy this Fall. That said, I am hopeful that I will resume more regular posting in the new year. In the weeks ahead, I plan to post about the new tax law recently passed by Congress and its impact on my readers. I will also share regular updates on my new and exciting real estate investment — a beach rental property. Will it be a great success or an abysmal failure?? Stay tuned to find out.
Now … time for my annual report card. How did I do?
I am very excited to report that it was a good year. Here are the highlights:
- I fully funded my 401k
- I fully funded my family HSA account
- I fully funded my Roth Conversion accounts
- I made my annual contributions to my kids’ 529 college savings plans
- I contributed 10% of my gross income to charity
- I achieved an after-tax savings rate in excess of 50%
- I sold my first “house flip” investment
- I realized a 16.4% overall return across my various investment accounts
- Bottom Line: my net worth increased by 17.8%
- I started this blog!!
- I fought through a bout of career burnout (more on that in another post)
- I started serving as a Mediator in legal cases for the first time in my career, which was very gratifying. I hope to incorporate this new career direction into my overall retirement plan.
- I went on a church mission trip to Budapest, which was extremely rewarding!
- I recorded a record with my really good friends — we had a blast and learned a lot about the recording process.
- I ended the year down 30 lbs. by following the NSNG eating program
- I went on a Caribbean cruise with my family
- I ran a half marathon and a sprint triathlon
- I took several trips to the mountains and the beaches of North Carolina. I live in an amazing state!
Here are my 2018 goals:
- Fully fund my retirement/savings accounts, as in 2017
- Save 60% of my after-tax income
- Invest in a beach rental property
- Increase my net worth by at least 20%
- Increase my blog posting frequency!
- Run two half marathons and one sprint triathlon
- Perform volunteer work at home and on an out-of-state mission trip
- Return to Budapest for another mission trip
- Record a second recording project with my church band
- Increase my mediations to approximately 2 per month
- Spend lots of quality time with my family and friends!
I would love to hear about your 2017 accomplishments and your plans for 2018 — leave me a comment!
Have a great week everyone!